Disclosure: This publish comprises affiliate hyperlinks. In case you click on via and purchase, TravelingMom might obtain a small fee at no further cost to you.
Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
There are lots of good causes individuals wish to trip within the southern USA: palm timber, out of doors cafes, and year-round temperate climate. One option to take pleasure in all of those advantages is by packing a tent (or loading up an RV!) and heading to the perfect campgrounds within the south, all of which have a stellar number of seashore spots, nature trails, mountain climbing, miles of trails, horseback using, RV websites and extra out of doors adventures.
This publish is sponsored by RVshare.
If tent tenting or a primitive tenting expertise is your factor, you’re going to need to search for a campground with clear, clear tent websites, perhaps a grill or hearth pit close by, a picnic space, and sizzling showers within the neighborhood.
Households preferring RV tenting will want full hookups for those who’re going to be there longer than a day.
The campsites on our checklist all have one thing particular to supply, whether or not it’s biking trails, seashore entry, overlooks, wildflowers, swimming swimming pools, or miles of climbing trails. We current to you the perfect campgrounds within the South, together with Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Blissful vacationing!
Finest Campgrounds within the South – Florida
Homestead, FL 33034
Dry Tortugas Nationwide Park is a gem for nature lovers, with seaside entry and many wildlife and chicken sightings within the space. Proper on the Gulf of Mexico, this Nationwide Park provides myriad out of doors actions for high quality household time within the solar.
You possibly can’t convey an RV to the Dry Tortugas, however you possibly can park your RV close by on Key West and discover. Have this 2018 Forest River RV delivered to Key West after which you possibly can take your automobile to the ferry and hop on over to the Dry Tortugas.
- Primitive campsites can be found with no reservations mandatory.
- Campsites embody a grill, composting bogs and hearth pit.
- Head oceanside for snorkeling at Windjammer Wreck.
- You should definitely convey battery-powered home equipment; no electrical hookups can be found.
3500 Pinellas Bayway S
Tierra Verde, FL 33715
With greater than 1,000 acres unfold throughout 5 interconnected islands on the Gulf of Mexico, Fort De Soto Park is dwelling to greater than 328 species of birds and beautiful surroundings. In case you’re into kayaking, canoeing, fishing, hanging out on the seaside, and plush inexperienced magnificence, you’re going to like Fort De Soto Park. Be sure you cease by the fort itself for a style of historical past, too.
Need to make it tremendous simple? Take supply from an proprietor at RVShare, like this huge 2016 Starcraft Comet 3611 Excessive Wall pop-up that sleeps 6.
- 6.8 mile asphalt recreation path for biking, strolling, and working.
- Canine pleasant, with a fenced-in canine park and water stations in your furry buddies.
- 238-site household tenting space with hookups, fashionable restrooms and sizzling showers.
- Primitive tenting for big teams within Shell Key Protect.
Finest Campgrounds within the South – Georgia
122 Cloudland Canyon Park Highway
Rising Fawn, GA 30738
There’s slightly one thing for everybody on the Cloudland Canyon State Park in northwest Georgia, together with campsites for RVs, campers, tents and primitive tenting. Or, for those who desire, calm down and reserve one of many 16 cottage or 10 yurt leases and transfer proper in (convey your s’mores substances for the night hearth). Full hookups and RV pull-throughs can be found for reservation.
Be part of our Non-public FB Group for extra journey inspiration and suggestions! JOIN HERE
Energetic, nature-loving households will respect the choices at this state park campground, together with disc golf, climbing, fishing, geocaching, mountain biking and climbing.
- Greater than 3,500 acres of beautiful Georgia panorama adjoining to Lookout Mountain.
- 30 miles of biking trails.
- 64 miles of climbing trails.
- 1000-foot canyons, sandstone cliffs and picnics with a view.
Pine Mountain, GA 31822
That is Georgia’s largest state park, spanning 9,049 acres of rolling mountains, pine timber, creeks and breathtaking picnic spots. Named for frequent customer President Franklin D. Roosevelt, this campground is excellent for stargazing (telescope really useful to seize the complete spectacle of the night time sky), horseback using and fishing within the creeks that wind via the panorama.
Solely about 90 minutes from Atlanta, Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park is accessible from wherever within the nation. Full hookups can be found, so a 7-person 2021 KZ Durango can be an amazing match delivered proper to your campsite by RVShare.
- 21 cottages.
- 115 tent, trailer, and RV campsites, some with full hookups
- Stables for horseback using ,
- 42 miles of climbing trails.
2700 Suwannee Canal Highway (7 Miles Southwest Of Folkston)
Georgia Freeway 121/23
Folkston, GA 31537-7906
In case your children are fascinated with creatures nice and small, they’re going to be blown away by the Okefenokee Nationwide Wildlife Refuge. An internationally-recognized habitat for threatened and endangered species such because the indigo snake, wooden stork and red-cockaded woodpecker, this park is dwelling to alligators, bears and screech owls, too.
- For households with adventurous older children, think about getting a allow to paddle out to the island in a canoe and staying in one among seven in a single day shelters.
- Auto tour routes can be found year-round.
- Jacksonville, Florida, is barely an hour southeast and Amelia Island an hour due east, and each locations provide extra sorts of tenting if you wish to journey round.
- No hookups for RVs can be found right here
Finest Campgrounds within the South – South Carolina
161 Holcombe Circle
Salem, SC 29676
Satan’s Fork State Park, situated deep within the Blue Ridge Mountains within the northeast nook of South Carolina, is a riot of azure sky, verdant grasses and vegetation and the dappled blue waters of Lake Jocassee. There are climbing and nature trails galore right here, together with kayaking, canoeing and fishing alternatives. After you’re completed for the day, relaxation your head in an RV like this lovable unit that sleeps 8 and may be delivered to you.
What actually makes this park distinctive is a separate boat-in campground for an expertise in contrast to every other. A boat-in campground means the positioning is barely accessible by boat, so it’s extra secluded than others. You park your trailer, put the boat within the water already loaded up together with your tent, water, meals and provides, and motor over to your personal campsite. Simply be sure to convey your individual boat, as a result of leases usually are not accessible.
- 20 two- and three-bedroom villas for lease.
- Simple one-mile Oconee Bell Nature Path that can enchantment to households with younger children.
- Between mid-March and mid-April, guests are handled to lots of of wildflower blooms together with the uncommon Oconee Bell of the southern Appalachian mountains.
- Full hookups can be found for campers as much as 40 ft lengthy
4401 S Kings Hwy
Myrtle Seashore, SC 29575 (843) 238-5325
South Carolina seashores are legendary, and Myrtle Seashore State Park provides pier and shoreline entry together with tenting websites and glamping choices. Select between seaside tent websites, RV spots with full hookups, or you possibly can keep in one among six cabins situated lower than 200 yards from the seaside.
Hire an RV like this 2019 Keystone RV Premier Extremely Lite which sleeps 9 and supply is barely $100 wherever in South Carolina.
- 278 campsites, 138 of which together with full hookups.
- One wonderful mile of unsullied, undeveloped seaside for exploring.
- Take pleasure in fishing, crabbing and chicken watching on the pier.
100 Nationwide Park Highway
Hopkins, SC 29061
Eighteen miles from Columbia, the capital of South Carolina, a 26,276-acre nationwide park sprawls throughout the splendor of big hardwoods and pines. Wood boardwalks carve trails via the forest, making walks and climbing a pleasure, and guided canoeing excursions can be found beginning March 1.
- You’ll want a reservation for one of many entrance nation campsites or a allow to hike into the wilderness and create a primitive tenting spot of your individual.
- Solely tents and hammocks are permitted at Congaree Nationwide Park; no RV hookups accessible.
- Every campsite has a fireplace pit and picnic desk and the campground has two vault bogs on website.
Finest Campgrounds within the South – North Carolina
789 North Carolina 24
Troy, NC 27371
Horseback using followers will discover a match made in heaven at Uwharrie Nationwide Forest, which boasts 40 miles of using trails. Have to cease for a relaxation to pamper your four-legged buddy? Go to Canebrake Horse Camp, which provides electrical hookups for campsites, a horse washing station and showers for you (which might be fairly welcome on a heat day).
We extremely advocate glamping within the Taj Ma-Haul journey trailer (sleeps 8) from RVShare, which could possibly be delivered to your website.
- In case you desire a mechanical steed, there are miles of ATV trails in your comfort.
- Trails are plentiful, from a simple 0.3 mile stroll made for folks and toddlers to mid-grade 3.6-mile river hikes to a difficult 1.4 mile climb.
- Primitive campsites can be found all through the forest, or chances are you’ll go for tent tenting or RV websites with electrical hookups and water spigots close by.
1600 State St #151
Asheville, NC 28801
Nestled within the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina over a large swath of land stretching 500,000 acres, the Pisgah Nationwide Forest awaits your loved ones getaway. The path community feels almost limitless, so plan out your backpacking route or mountain biking session and don’t miss the Moore Cove Falls, which has a 50-foot waterfall you possibly can stroll behind.
- Hikers, you’ll be rewarded in your work with a transparent view of Chilly Mountain on one aspect and downtown Asheville on the opposite.
- Roadside campsites are sprinkled all through Pisgah Nationwide Forest and embody a tent pad, hearth ring and parking area.
- The simple-access Rocky Bluff campground has 15 campsites with a parking spot, picnic desk, tent pad and hearth grate.
- Some websites have RV hookups with a reservation.
1792 Pilot Knob Park Highway
Pinnacle, NC 27043
Positioned in northwest North Carolina, this park is centered round a geological formation known as Pilot Mountain, which is a perfect website for climbers and hikers. Rappelling is permitted on the mountain with a allow, and skilled climbers with teenagers will discover this to be a tenting journey to recollect.
- There are 42 household campsites, every together with a tent pad, desk and hearth pit/grill. Two bathhouses with sizzling showers are close by, and water stations are situated all through the campground.
- Two paddle-in campsites require reservations and your individual provide of water, however present an unmatched alternative to expertise nature.
- Horseback using and mountain biking trails abound on this park.
- No hookups or RV websites can be found on this park.
Finest Campgrounds within the South – Tennessee
2009 Village Camp Highway
Spencer, TN 38585
Hike into backcountry websites, pitch a tent, park your RV (with electrical hookups) or strive a cabin rental at Fall Creek Falls, which options an astounding variety of geographical wonders in every single place you look. Households with children of all ages can take pleasure in almost 30,000 acres of enjoyable together with 4 playgrounds, 5 coated picnic pavilions and an Olympic-sized swimming pool between Memorial Day and Labor Day. There’s even a wading space within the pool for tiny tykes.
- Strive zip lining or the ropes course at Cover Problem Course – it’s accessible for teenagers as younger as 4 all the way in which as much as reasonably match seniors.
- Sort out 56 miles of climbing trails and 24 miles of biking trails.
- An 18-hole golf course is accessible for hyperlinks followers.
107 Park Headquarters Highway
Gatlinburg , TN 37738
With lush forests which might be certainly the identical as they had been 100 years in the past, this protected part of land in Tennessee is America’s most-visited park. Tenting is king on this park and there are many locations to settle in for the night time, together with 10 developed campgrounds. In case you’re craving a roof over your head, the one choice contained in the park is LeConte Lodge, which requires guests to hike of 5 to 9 miles to get there. However when you do… wow. It’s beautiful.
And for those who keep within the park or the Gatlinburg space, think about reserving a camper like this 26-foot Forest River for supply. No hookups can be found contained in the park.
- Within the developed entrance nation tenting space, every website features a hearth grate and picnic desk and the campground has restrooms with chilly working water and flush bogs.
- Small easy-access horse camps embody hitch racks for horses and primitive tenting amenities.
- Intrepid backpackers can hike a number of miles to primitive campsites.
Finest Campgrounds within the South – Kentucky
2135 Pure Bridge Highway
Slade, KY 40376
Beset with a jewel of a 60-acre lake, the Pure Bridge State Resort Park made our checklist for its full checklist of facilities and unimaginable views. In case you can, go to when autumn colours are in full show and the valley is awash with purple, orange and yellow. Between April and October, take a relaxation from climbing and catch the sky carry, which picks you up 1/2 mile from the park entrance and stops lower than two soccer fields away from the Pure Bridge.
- 10 climbing trails vary from a simple 1/2 mile to a strenuous 7.5 miles.
- Strive glamping in one among 35 rooms at Hemlock Lodge.
- A lot of household enjoyable like a miniature golf course, a stone bathhouse and an enormous pool.
- Electrical hookups can be found.
7351 Freeway 90
Corbin, KY 40701
Attractive and scenic with Cumberland Falls as its centerpiece, the Cumberland Falls State Resort Park made our checklist for its pure magnificence and household enjoyable. You’ll take pleasure in twisty climbing trails, horseback using and swimming. And also you don’t need to go all-in with primitive campsites right here; lovable cottages and lodge rooms can be found with fashionable facilities like hair dryers, TVs and fully-equipped kitchens. Camp through the day and snooze on an actual mattress at night time, for those who like.
Electrical hookups can be found at a number of the reserved campsites. To actually do it up, reserve supply of this roomy brand-new 2021 Forest River RV Cherokee Gray Wolf from RVShare that sleeps 9 with a full kitchen and a enjoyable out of doors bathe.
- Horseback using for teenagers 6 and older.
- 50 campsites with electrical and water hookups.
- 17 miles of climbing trails.
- Cumberland Falls Mining Firm provides enjoyable mining actions for gem stones and fossils.
- One of many solely locations on the planet to see a Moonbow – a rainbow-shaped refraction of sunshine fashioned with tiny water droplets earlier than and after a full moon.