No. 23 Wrestling Visits Maryland Saturday on BTN
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – No. 23 Rutgers wrestling (9-5, 1-4) hits the street to face RV Maryland (8-6, 0-5) on Saturday in Faculty Park. The twin is ready for a 2 p.m. ET begin and a nationwide broadcast on Large Ten Community, with Shane Sparks and Jim Gibbons on the decision.
The Scarlet Knights misplaced to No. 14 Northwestern, 28-6, of their final day out this previous Sunday at Jersey Mike’s Area. No. 15 Brian Soldano (184) and Billy Janzer (197) picked up wins in opposition to the Wildcats, with Janzer securing his second win over a ranked foe this season.
This Saturday’s matchup with the Terrapins continues a seven-match swing in opposition to opponents both ranked or receiving votes within the NWCA Coaches Ballot to shut the twin season. RU can have confronted three top-10 opponents in that span – No. 1 Penn State, No. 3 Michigan and No. 7 Ohio State.
125: 12/12 Dean Peterson (19-5)
133: 16/14 Joe Heilmann (19-6)
141: 18/HM Joseph Olivieri (12-3)
149: NR/HM Tony White (11-8)
157: NR/HM Andrew Clark (16-11)
165: Connor O’Neill (9-13) -OR- Robert Kanniard (3-3) -OR- Al DeSantis (10-5)
174: Jackson Turley (7-7)
184: 15/16 Brian Soldano (17-6)
197: NR/HM Billy Janzer (5-8)
HWT: 26/22 Boone McDermott (12-2) -OR- John O’Donnell (6-6) -OR- Kyle Epperly (5-4)
125: 18/22 Braxton Brown (18-2) -OR- Zach Spence (3-6)
133: Conner Quinn (0-14)
141: Kal Miller (11-10) -OR- Nick Cambria (2-2)
149: 18/HM Ethen Miller (21-5) -OR- Joe Fisk (1-6)
157: 32/HM Michael North (14-4) -OR- Kevin Schork (0-8)
165: John Martin Finest (9-12) -OR- Lucas Cordio (7-7)
174: Dom Solis (9-8)
184: Chase Mielnik (4-16)
197: 13/14 Jaxon Smith (13-5)
285: 27/HM Jaron Smith (10-7) -OR- Jordan Gabriel
- With Janzer getting into FloWrestling’s rankings, Rutgers has eight ranked wrestlers on this weekend’s projected lineup. That features No. 12 Dean Peterson (125), No. 15 Brian Soldano (184). No. 16 Joe Heilmann (133) and No. 18 Joseph Olivieri (141). The quartet is a mixed 33-10 in duals this season.
- Peterson is the highest-ranked Scarlet Knight within the first NCAA Coaches’ Rating, coming in at No. 5 at 125 kilos. Peterson is 19-5 this season with a 9-1 mark in duals and a 4-1 document in Large Ten twin motion.
- Olivieri additionally owns a 4-1 Large Ten Convention twin document this season after his redshirt was pulled earlier this month.
- Janzer owns back-to-back wins in Large Ten motion, which features a 3-1 win over No. 28 Andrew Davison (Northwestern) this previous weekend. Janzer is the one two-time nationwide qualifier on the roster this season.
- Head coach Scott Goodale picked up his 2 hundredth profession win as a head coach when RU defeated Clarion in its season opener. This system’s all-time wins chief, Goodale owns 208 victories throughout his 16-year tenure “On the Banks.”
- Rutgers has produced 62 pins this season, together with 14 in twin motion. Devon Britton (133/141) leads the crew with 5 falls this season, which features a third interval fall in opposition to Bloomsburg on Jan. 6 in RU’s 45-0 twin victory.
- The Scarlet Knights have generated 142 wins by bonus this season. In twin motion, Rutgers has produced 16 wins by main, 14 by fall and three by tech fall.
- Brian Soldano leads the crew with 11 bonus-point victories this season.
- Rutgers has averaged 4,075 followers per dwelling match at Jersey Mike’s Area this season. The Scarlet Knights have completed within the high 5 in nationwide attendance the previous six seasons.
- Saturday would be the 20th assembly all-time between Rutgers and Maryland, with the Scarlet Knights profitable the previous seven matchups – all in Large Ten motion.
- Rutgers received final season’s assembly, 31-13, on February 12, 2022 at Jersey Mike’s Area. RU received seven bouts in opposition to the Terrapins, together with wins from present student-athletes Dylan Shawver (125), Robert Kanniard (157), Andrew Clark (165) and Boone McDermott (HWT).
- Maryland options 5 ranked people beneath fourth-year head coach Alex Clemsen. Earlier this season, the Terrapins entered the nationwide rankings for the primary time since 2013.
- Rutgers closes its twin schedule in opposition to No. 1 Penn State on Friday, February 10 at Jersey Mike’s Area earlier than heading west to face No. 10 Nebraska on Sunday, February 12 in Lincoln.